Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Through a child's eye

Rob and I have decided that God has us here for the time being because there have been no other opened doors. So, we are planting our roots here until the Lord directs us elsewhere.

One of my roots is planted at Sunny Side Elementary in a kindergarten class as a teacher's aide. I have been with these kindergartners for a week now and am loving it. I just love being with kids. Kids help my perspective of life and I was needing a new perspective.

Last week we took the students to a movie for a little Chistmas cheer. There's just something about watching a movie with a theater full of kids that makes it oh, so much better. Sitting next to me was a small, quiet boy whom I have only heard say one or two words. I noticed that he was not watching the movie. He would look at the floor then the ceiling and then get on his knees and look toward the back of the theater. I leaned over and asked him if he was ok. He just looked at me and smiled. I then asked him if he had ever been to a movie and he just shook his head no. I couldn't believe it. The little guy was so in awe of his surroundings because he had never been to a movie theater. He wanted to know where that movie was coming from and how in the world was it appearing on the big screen.

Now when I think of my circumstances and get the least bit sad or disappointed I think of that little boy and the sparkle in his eye. Am I caught in awe of my surroundings? Do people see a sparkle in my eye when I view my new circumstances? Oh, how I desire to be in awe of God's daily wonder for I know where that movie is coming from. I may not know the next scene but I know who's behind the projector.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Thanks for that sharing that experience. I'm all goose-bumpy!!The things we take for granted are amazing! It's sad that it always takes someone of different circumstances to put us in our place and make us realize what we really do have!!

Anonymous said...

You do have a special way with words...turning every day experiences into life lessons. Praying that God continues to reveal Himself to you and Rob and causes your eyes to sparkle in expectation of what He is going to do!

Sunny Side Elementary has received a very special blessing in you.